"Our heroes were these old guys who played on weekends and called themselves semipro. These guys wore argyle socks under their stirrups and they wore mix-and-match uniforms and caps on the side of their heads. And they all had a half-pint of whiskey in their back pockets. If they didn't get too drunk on Saturday night and if enough guys showed up on Sunday, they would have a game. Those guys were our heroes, the guys we wanted to emulate."
Some fine inspirational words from the shortstop who was raised in a Washington, D.C. housing project.
We are a fantasy baseball league whose draft is scheduled for April 23. That's a little late, even for us. But given the spate of players going on the DL...
- Good News for the BCL
- The Old Ways Were the Good Ways
- Black Hole of Time Wasting Ahead
- Pressman Thunders from the Right Coast
- BCL: Working for You Today for a Better Draft Tomo...
- This is Not a Problem
- Die, Motherfucker, Die
- The Old Mailbag
- Maury Wills' boyhood heroes
- Vorp Power
- The Piazza Question
- Leave Him for Me
- Hey, I Read the Papers, Too
- Team Depth Charts
- Is Left Field Left Out?
- Also, Time to Think about the Last Pitcher Taken
- Kotsay Got Bad Back *But We Don't Care*
- A Good Place to Start Research
- ▼ March (20)