Listening to carols on the radio this morning it occurred to me that so many of our very favorite versions of timeless yuletide classics are rendered by people no longer with us. Consider. Bing Crosby (White Christmas), dead on a golf course. Elvis Presley (Blue Christmas), dead on the toilet. Burl Ives (Holly Jolly Christmas), just dead. And the Chipmunks (The Christmas Song): Simon, dead of a heroin overdose; Theodore, cut down by gunfire in Las Vegas; and Alvin, eaten by Dick Clark's cat. Hearing them sing these favorites, you just have to pause halfway through Target and wonder.
By the way, the fact that we have a "White Chrismas" and a "Blue Christmas" raises the question of why no one has recorded a "Red (blooded/neck/state) Christmas." Somebody out there, get on this.
We are a fantasy baseball league whose draft is scheduled for April 14. Ten men enter (or nine or eight), and one man leaves.
- ► 2007 (41)
- BP on Tigers and Royals
- BP on the Angels
- BP on Twins
- Why Did Beane Trade Mulder?
- Time for a Prediction
- Boggs, Sandberg and Trammell for Hall? So says BP
- Moneyball Lewis Talks About the A's
- The 2004 VORP Statistics. I'm Going to Look Up Wha...
- Rays and Jays
- MLB Fantasy Take on J. Dye Deal
- We Love You, The French Love You. Patsy Forever!
- diving in
- The League Banquet Was Quite Wonderful
- You Gibbons Lovers Take a Look
- Christmas thoughts
- Rangers Outlook
- Some Thoughts on the Kendall Deal
- Some Merry Celebrity Carols from Bob Wieder
- Christmas Carols
- A New Blog for a New Day
- ▼ December (20)